Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sticks & Stones

Whoever made up the all to infamous school yard phrase "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" was an idiot. Granted they probably meant this to be applied to your average everyday playground name calling but when applied to grown-up life you find that words can cause just as much damage as any stick or stone. I've seen and experianced more damage done with words than with any other object. In the most profound way words are some of the most damaging things in the world. Let's have a short case study.....

Example #1: Don Imus and the "Nappy Headed Hoes"

Ahh Don, we listened to your crazy radio show and applauded your 20 years sobriety. Then you had to go callin' the Rugers Women's Basketball Team a bunch of nappy headed hoes. Ouch Don, that one stung a little.....drug your name through the mud and lost you your job. Wow, I bet you would have rather had some homeless guy throw a rock at you on your way to work that day. The time spent in the ER, the head ache and maybe a bit of memory loss would have been superior to those three magic words that flushed your career down the toilet that faithful day.


Example #2: Mel Gibson the Anti-Semite

We loved you in Lethal Weapon, rallied with your battle cries in Braveheart, found the government susupect with you in Conspirecy Theory, even believed for a second that you knew What Women want.... but oh how a few anti-Semetic words brought you down. Some like the to blame the vodka and the scotch and to them I say fair enough. I like to go straight to the source of the problem the complete disconnect between your brain and your big flapping piehole!! Anti-Semetic comments to an office or the law? While you are drunk? Come on now Mel....

Example #3: The Classic :"It's not you, it's me."

Totally meant to make the injured party feel better about a breakup, this phrase does nothing of the sort. You may as well say: "You know I really can't fucking stand you but listening to you cry is worse so I'll take the blame on this one." Or "I'm not man (or woman) enought to admit that you drive me fucking nuts."


REALLY, need I say more? I think not. Just remember next time you use your words to be sure and use them nicely.

No comments: